Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Nauvoo



I decided that I better post a little text to go along with the pics. We had a great time on our trip to the Church history sites. We started in Independence, MO and made several stops on our way to Nauvoo including Far West, Liberty, Adam-ondi-Ahman, Gallitan, and Hannibal. Hannibal was really cool because it was right next to the Mississippi River and it was where Mark Twain grew up. Liberty Jail was interesting. I couldn't believe that they were locked up in that little space for 4 whole months! I can't even imagine being down there in that small, freezing place in the middle of the winter. Adam-ondi-Ahman was absolutely gorgeous. It was really peaceful and quiet there. I couldn't believe how pretty it was. At Far West, there wasn't really anything left there except for the temple site. The original 4 cornerstones are still there, and there's a monument explaining what happened there. It was also a peaceful place. After staying in Hannibal, we went to Nauvoo.
Nauvoo was really amazing. I love love love the temple! It is a beautiful building inside and out. We did a session there one morning and it was neat. Nauvoo has several little homes and stores that have either been re-built as they were before, or have been restored to their original state. It was easy to see why it was so hard for the Saints to leave their beautiful city of Nauvoo. There really isn't much left to their city compared to what it was when they left, but you can get the idea of what it must have been like. There was a very special spirit in Nauvoo and I would highly recommend that everyone go there sometime. One of my most favorite thngs was going to Rendezvous two nights while we were there. The senior missionaries put on a little play that they call Rendezvous and talk and sing about what Nauvoo was like back in the 1840's. It was really good, and we definitely had some good laughs!
From Nauvoo we went to Carthage. Wow! Carthage was one of my most favorite places of the entire trip. I learned so much about Joseph Smith and we sat right in the very room where he and Hyrum died. I can't explain how it felt to be there and especially after we had somewhat followed their path all the way from Missouri. Joseph and Hyrum were both amazing men, and I hope that I can have a relationship with my sisters that is similar to theirs. They were willing to do anything for each other.
We spent a whole day, or at least it felt like it, driving across the entire state of Iowa to get to Winter Quarters. We visited another pioneer cemetery that is right behind the Winter Quarters Temple. That temple is also really pretty. There are beautiful stained glass windows on every side. We also did a tour in the visitor's temple and after having heard about the trek of the pioneers and all of their trials for an entire week, my emotions were overwhelming by the time we got to Winter Quarters. The sister missionary sang Come Come Ye Saints and I couldn't hold back the tears. For one thing, she had an amazing voice, and I also felt a deeper connection to the early members of the church than I ever had before. It was awesome! Our last stop was in Council Bluffs at the Kanesville Tabernacle. This is actually the spot where Brigham Young was sustained as the second prophet 3 years after Joseph Smith died. It is also the place where the Mormon Battalion left from. It was interesting to find out that we had a relative that was in the Mormon Battalion. How cool is that? Anyway, the trip was altogether amazing. I learned so much and gained a much greater appreciation for the early members of the Church. My testimony was strengthened and I won't soon forget about the sacrifices that have brought the Church where it is today.

7 comments:

jackie said...

Hey, I'm jealous of your new wallpaper! You better let me in on your secret. Love your pics of Nauvoo w/Mom & Dad! Looks awesome! I'll try and post Kenna's b-day pics soon! Love you and hope you have a great birthday tomorrow!!

Parry's said...

Happy Birthday To YOu! Wow what a suprise with a post and a makeover...I have been looking on your blog a lot waiting for an update. How fun Nauvoo! Your mom seemed exhausted on Sunday. Was it fun to be with your parents and know one else?

Michelle said...

KENJ!!!!!!

Happy Birthday to you in, like ... 15 minutes!

Your Nauvoo pictures are incredible. My favorites are of the temple ... and the ones with tree parts in the foreground and scenic views in the background. Those shots are AWESOME!

I hope I get to see you for a minute tomorrow for your b-day. Glad your back ... can't wait to hear more about your trip.

Cute background choice!

M- your favorite said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! YEAH IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!

I love the pictures! What they are not boring! I love them. It's amazing to see all the church sites.
But I have to say I am really glad your back!!

Kendra said...

Thanks everyone! I had a great time in Nauvoo, and I learned alot. I've had a great birthday too thanks to all of you! You are so awesome!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I love the recap on your trip. Aren't the missionaries in Nauvoo the cutest?

Lindsey Hansen said...

HEY! I LOVE YOUR TEMPLATE! Let's just say I have looked and looked everywhere for the past hour trying to find a template and can't find a good website for one! I need your help! Thanks for letting me spend your birthday with you! You're awesome I love you so much!