Monday, January 28, 2008

My Calling

So, I have a great calling in my ward. I'm the "teachings of our time" Relief Society Teacher, and I really LOVE it! I have never been a Relief Society teacher before, so I never knew how awesome of a calling it is, and how much it is really just for me. I have learned alot in my prepartion and I'm SO grateful for it. This past week I taught the lesson on Pres. Monson's talk, a Royal Priesthood. Now, I'll have to admit that I didn't have the best attitude to begin with because it was a talk given in the Priesthood session and I thought it was going to be a talk mostly for the men. Once I finally decided to read the whole talk and put some effort into it, I found that it was an amazing talk, and one that every member of the church should read, and apply in their own lives. He talks about how we each as members of the church need to obtain some specific characteristics in our lives; namely, vision, faith, effort, virtue, and prayer. Wow! It's such a great talk. The one thing that stuck out to me was that effort is a good thing, not always easy, but it's totally worth it. I decided to put forth some extra effort into my lesson and I even went as far as making hand outs! Yay! I actually made hand outs and everyone loved them!
I, like my friend Amy, didn't really make goals at the beginning of this new year. Sure, I have some things on my mind, but I didn't really write them down. After reading and studying this talk, I decided that I have several things that I need to work on, but they're all very "do-able". Each of these characteristics, or marks, as Pres. Monson refers to them, are qualities that each of us need to develop and better our lives through them. I am so happy to have this calling and know that I will be blessed as much as the effort that I put into my calling.




It's going to be hard to not have Pres. Hinckley around anymore, but his death is such a bittersweet thing. I am so happy that he is back with his lovely wife and that he was able to serve right up until the day that he passed away. Pres. Hinckley obviously developed all of these marks long ago and has been such a wonderful example to everyone around, church members or not. It's amazing to me how many temples have been built and planned since he became the president. I think it's wonderful! So many more members of the church are now able to enjoy the blessings of the temple. I also loved how Pres. Hinckley was not afraid of the media. He was willing to sit down with people and share his beliefs and he could answer any question that they had without blinking an eye. Another thing I won't forget are the "Be's" that he talked about. He just made everything so simple. I also really loved his sense of humor, and the way that he would wave his cane around as he walked into the conference center. He is definitely going to be missed.

9 comments:

Jess/Nate&Family said...

Kendra,

I am so excited to serve with your mom and sister in the YW's WaHOO! And congrat on your calling I would love to be a listening ear in your class I am sure those women will gain so much spiritually from you.
Jessica

Ashlee said...

woohoo! kendra is alive:) your new background is too cute! i love jackie's too. what a great teachings for our time teacher you will be! i am envious, that lesson of the month was always my favorite because it was so relevant to TODAY. you should email me your talks:) anyways, why are you not one of my links yet? weird. i added you, hope that's okay!

jackie said...

Kenj, you are such a great sister and such a wonderful example! I'm glad you are excited about your calling and know that you will be a wonderful teacher! It sounds like you have the right attitude! Oh, by the way, your background is so cute too! Love you!

Michelle said...

Sounds so fabulous. I'll be reading that talk now.

Thanks for sharing your love and thoughts about Pres. Hinckley. That was very moving.

You're awesome, Kenj. Sure love ya!

Mrs. Bennett said...

I was so glad to see a new post from you. Have I told you how much I love your blog? Well I do. And you. love you both. :)

Parry's said...

What a great lesson. I want to read it now! I agree on the bitter sweet feeling.. He was a sweet man..Thanks for entertaining Natalee during sacrament meeting a couple of weeks ago.

Lindsey Hansen said...

KENDRA you NEVER TOLD me that you were called to be the new relief society teacher! Congratulations! I am so excited for you! I am going to miss Pres. Hinckley too! He has made such a difference in my life. It is amazing how much he knew! Kendra, I want you to know how much I love you and appreciate you! You help make my life a lot more simple! You are such a spiritual being and are a great example in my life! You help me and make me want to be the best person I can be! I love you so much!

M- your favorite said...

Kenj- You are a great teacher. I am lucky to be in your lessons. You are such a good example-What can I say (without crying) you are so AWESOME! Thanks for being such a great friend. You have made a differance in my life, and I have been so blessed. Love you so many!

Donna said...

Kendra, thanks for highlighting Pres. Hinkley on your page. What a great reminder of faith and enduring to the end. My life's not so hard when I think of what he has done in his lifetime. Also, thanks for inspiring me, I have read 16 pgs in the BOM....well it's a start!!!